Listen to the podcast

In Sweden, not all mopeds are created equal. A class system exists that separates mopeds and scooters into two classes.

Those classes are Class 1 and Class 2.

But what are the differences between the two? What is the top speed of each class?

Where do you park a Class 1 or Class 2 moped, respectively?

And perhaps most importantly of all – what license do you need?

Tune in to discover:

  • The differences between Swedish moped Class 1 and Class 2 – from top speed to parking
  • What license you need for each class



Hello and welcome to 30-minute motorcycling, the podcast for new, aspiring and even aspiring riders, where you’ll learn about motorcycles, and other two-wheelers in 30 minutes or less.


And this week’s episode is dedicated to those “other two-wheelers” – specifically mopeds and scooters. 


Did you know that mopeds and scooters in Sweden are divided into a class system? class 1 and 2 to be precise.


but what are the differences between the two? How can you tell which class your moped or scooter belongs to? And what kind of license do you need?


In this episode, you’re going to learn exactly that.


Let’s begin with Moped class 1. Mopeds and scooters of this class are often colloquially referred to as “EU mopeds.” and are restricted to a top speed of 45 kilometers per hour.


Since the default speed limit in many Swedish cities is 50 kilometers an hour, that makes Class 1 mopeds and scooters great for commuting. 


Just like motorcycles, Class 1 moped is mainly supposed to be ridden on the carriageway. Not only that, but the same rules apply when it comes to parking.


A Class 1 moped must always be parked in a regular parking spot – again, just like a motorcycle.


However, that’s where the similarities between Class 1 mopeds and motorcycles end.


Because of their limited top speed, the Class I mopeds should not be taken onto the expressway or motorway. It’s not only illegal  – it’s also very dangerous.


Now if you think Class 2 is an improvement over Class 1 – Think again. These mopeds and scooters have a much slower top speed of 25 kilometers an hour.


Because of this, however, you can ride a moped or scooter of this class in the bicycle lane and in the bus lane.


Parking is also similar to a bicycle – you can park a Class 2 moped in a bicycle stand. 


So now you know more about the differences between Class 1 and Class 2 mopeds. But how can you tell which Class your moped or scooter belongs to? 


The biggest telltale sign is whether or not it has a license plate at the rear – if it does, it’s a Class 1. 


Class 2 mopeds aren’t required to have license plates but must have valid third-party insurance at the bare minimum – just like Class 1 mopeds. 


OK, so now that we’ve covered the differences between moped Class 1 and Class 2, let’s talk about the license you need. 


To ride a Class 1 moped, you need to have at least an AM license. If you have this license, you’re also able to ride both Class 1 and Class 2 mopeds. 


On the other hand, if you just want to ride Class 2 mopeds, all you need is a special permit from the Swedish Transport Agency, which you can get by taking a special written test.


And those are the differences between Swedish moped Class 1 and class 2. 


If you’d like to read more, I’ve included a link to a blog post on the Dual Wheel Journey, where I talk some more about the rules for so-called “legacy mopeds,” as well as a road sign that only applies to Class 2 mopeds.


I hope you enjoyed listening, and that you learned something new. 


Until next time, keep your helmet on and your eyes on the road. Bye!