Did you know that in Sweden, mopeds and scooters are divided into two classes – Moped Class 1 and 2, to be exact.

But what are the differences between the two?

In this blog post, you’ll discover more about:

  • The two different classes for mopeds and scooters
  • Differences between Moped Class 1 and Class 2
  • The license you’ll need if you want to ride both classes
  • An ebook about this topic
Prefer to get this information in podcast form? Listen to the 30 Minute Motorcycling Podcast episode about the Swedish Moped Class 1 and Class 2 system:

A Brief Background Story

In Sweden, this particular classification of 50cc mopeds and scooters came into effect in November 1998 – 3 years after Sweden joined the European Union.

Before this, mopeds and scooters were divided by weight and gearbox. Confusingly enough, this system was also called “Class 1” and “Class 2.”

For example, a moped that weighed over 60 kg was classified as Class 1, one that weighed below 60 kg was classified as Class 2. 1

Either way, the top speed for both types was 30km/h (or 18 miles per hour). 

However, this system is no longer in place – mopeds and scooters in Sweden are no longer separated by weight.

Instead, modern 50cc mopeds and scooters are categorized into Moped Class 1 or Class 2 by their top speed, among a few other things. 

Moped Class 1

image of class 1 moped
Photo by Nathan Salt from Pexels
Also known colloquially as “EU Mopeds” (and that includes scooters too), the Class 1 moped has the following engine characteristics: Top speed: 45 km/h (28 mph) Number of wheels: 2-4 Maximum engine displacement: 50 ccs or 4 kW (for electric mopeds and scooters) Requires license plate: Yes Requires registration in the Swedish Transport Agency’s database: Yes Must have insurance: Yes (third-party minimum)

Where Class 1 mopeds and scooters should ride

Class 1 mopeds and scooters must ride on the carriageway by law, just like a regular motorcycle.

Because of this, if you want a great commuter or urban or even suburban cruiser, a Class 1 moped or scooter is the best option.

However, since they have a restricted top speed of 45 km/h (28 mph), they are not allowed on the motorway.

Where do you park a Class 1 moped or scooter?

When parking Class 1 mopeds, you must park in specially designated parking spaces – the same way you would when you’re driving a car. However, unlike a car, you can also park in a parking space reserved for motorcycles. 

Moped Class 2

image of moped class 2
Image by Hans Linde from Pixabay
A moped Class 2 might sound like an upgrade from Class 1, but in many ways, it’s a bit of a downgrade. Class 2 mopeds have the following engine specs: Top speed: 25 km/h (16 mph) Number of wheels: 2-4 Maximum engine displacement: 50 ccs or 1 kW (for electric engines) Requires license plate: No Requires registration in the Swedish Transport Agency’s database: No Must have insurance: Yes (third-party minimum)

Where Class 2 mopeds and scooters should ride

Since Class 2 mopeds are much slower than their Class 1 counterparts, that means that you can ride them legally in the bus and cycle lanes. Because of this, there’s a particular prohibitory traffic sign that applies explicitly to Class 2 mopeds:
no class 2 moped
However, this does NOT apply for Class 1 mopeds and scooters unless a sign underneath says otherwise.

Where do you park a Class 2 moped or scooter?

Since they ride in the cycle lane, you can park a Class 2 moped like a bicycle – i.e. at a cycle stand.

A quick word about “Legacy Mopeds:”

In addition to Class 1 and Class 2, there’s also a third class known as “30-moped” or “Legacy Moped.” These were built and registered before 2003 and are similar to Class 2 mopeds. The only difference is that they have a slightly faster top speed of 30 km/h.  However, the rules and restrictions for Class II mopeds still apply to legacy mopeds.

Class 1 vs Class 2 Moped – What License Do I Need?

For Class 1 mopeds, you need an AM license at the bare minimum. If you already have a car or a motorcycle license, you probably have an AM license already. If you don’t have any of these, you need to take lessons at a traffic school that offers moped classes. Class 2 mopeds don’t require a license – just a special permit, which you’ll get after you’ve taken a special written exam at the Swedish Transport Agency. Of course, if you have an AM license, you can ride both Class 1 and Class 2 mopeds and scooters. Since Class 1 and Class 2 have their own unique advantages, getting an AM license is therefore worth the extra “trouble.” 

Get the ONLY English-language guide that shows you everything you need to know about Moped Class 1 and 2.

swedish moped class 1 and 2 ebook cover


  1. Rydholm, C. (2018). Göteborg på två hjul. Trafik-Nostalgiska Förlaget.